2010/4/26 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.ar...@gmail.com>:
> I again exceded the post size limit, sometimes it goes unnoticed...
>
> Sorry for not trimming again :)

You should try using plain text email, cuts down on size.

>> It is good to hear that you have had experiences with both the operating
>> systems,
>> A question to ask...
>>
>> Can you enlighten me regarding package management about both Arch and
>> Gentoo?

Arch uses pacman, it downloads binary packages and installs them. You
also have a tool called yaourt which can install from user configured
repos (sort of like an ubuntu ppa but less secure). It can be made to
run faster using powerpill which uses a download manager to download
in parts from many mirrors. You should go through the wiki, it is very
informative.

Gentoo uses emerge which is a very powerful frontend to portage which
is based on FreeBSD's ports system. It usually downloads source and
compiles them during the install, using user specified optimizations
in /etc/make.conf (this is the main flexibility offered). In make.conf
you can specify stuff like architecture and processor specific options
so that it's built precisely for your system.
There are also mirrors that allow for binary downloads of large
applications (like KDE, openoffice etc). They offer a GUI installer
these days but I haven't tried it out. The command line way of doing
it is fun, takes a weekend and there's lots to learn.

Quite popular joke:

<@insomnia> it only takes three commands to install Gentoo
<@insomnia> cfdisk /dev/hda && mkfs.xfs /dev/hda1 && mount /dev/hda1
/mnt/gentoo/ && chroot /mnt/gentoo/ && env-update && . /etc/profile &&
emerge sync && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootsrap.sh && emerge system
&& emerge vim && vi /etc/fstab && emerge gentoo-dev-sources && cd
/usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make install modules_install &&
emerge gnome mozilla-firefox openoffice && emerge grub && cp
/boot/grub/grub.conf.sample /boot/grub/grub.conf && vi
/boot/grub/grub.conf && grub && init 6
<@insomnia> that's the first one

Of course, I suppose it's easier now :)

>>> Ubuntu was never a democracy [1]. There was a great outcry about this.
>>> Personally I don't really care, if Ubuntu doesn't work for me I can
>>> always switch to something that does (or if I have the requisite
>>> skills, build one of my own). But why does the commercialization
>>> bother you? They still give us the source code and I think it's a
>>> wonderful way to provide services built around an awesome OS.
>>
>> Commercialization is no bother for me, of course every one work for money,
>> but a small scare for future with many what if? questions...
>>

>>> [1] http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/ubuntu-is-not-democratic.html

Sent using the magic of the interwebs.
http://ritesh.posterous.com