On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Ritesh Sinha <sinha.k.rit...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/4/26 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.ar...@gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> So what kind of net connection is required for Arch -
> >>
> >> from what i can gather a pretty reliable and fat pipe seems to be the
> >> order of the day.
> >>
> >> was realy curious what rolling release meant - so checked the wiki
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
> >>
> >> "A rolling release is typically implemented using small and frequent
> >> updates. However, simply having updates does not automatically mean
> >> that a piece of software is using a rolling release cycle; to qualify
> >> as a rolling release, the philosophy of developers must be to work
> >> with one code branch, as opposed to discrete versions. Updates are
> >> typically delivered to users using a package manager and a software
> >> repository accessed through the internet."
> >>
> >> seems to me that this is something that requires constant access to
> >> the net and also not really meant for systems that require stability.
> >> The latter because there is no way such solling release can account
> >> for individual systems setup and cutomized (or can it)
> >>
> >> The advantage i see is that instead of lump sum one gets small updates
> >> (maybe) and it means that after the initial install , maybe, one can
> >> survive on a small bandwidth.
> >>
> >> There won't be patches, anything recitified will automatically appear
> >> in the main rolling release
> >>
> >> Also it probably means there is never going to be any excitement /
> >> hype about the latest release. Once you install a rolling release all
> >> one can say is "aha my system is the same as it was 10 years ago" -
> >> thats something actually.
> >
> > on the bright side, no need to reinstall with every release(Of course
> > Upgrade option is there, but I say "Upgrade is fairly usless to 60% of
> the
> > users", reinstallation will give a different feel than Upgrade")
> >
> > Now I feel should give a try to Arch and Gentoo.
>
> You should! It's a great learning experience. I learnt a lot about
> linux configuration from Gentoo. Arch is my second favourite distro, I
> use it for work where I require latest and greatest versions of
> software :).

It is good to hear that you have had experiences with both the operating
systems,
A question to ask...

Can you enlighten me regarding package management about both Arch and
Gentoo?

> > Ubuntu is becoming more of Suse I think, more commercialization than
> > Democracy...
>
> Ubuntu was never a democracy [1]. There was a great outcry about this.
> Personally I don't really care, if Ubuntu doesn't work for me I can
> always switch to something that does (or if I have the requisite
> skills, build one of my own). But why does the commercialization
> bother you? They still give us the source code and I think it's a
> wonderful way to provide services built around an awesome OS.

Commercialization is no bother for me, of course every one work for money,
but a small scare for future with many *what if? *questions...