On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 16:44, Onkar Shinde <onkarshi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Narendra Diwate
> <narendra.diw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am just reading the latest DW weekly and in it a interview they say
> that
> > deleting the contents of /usr directory will give the base system as was
> > installed or something close to it.
> >
> > I just checked my /usr and ITS BIG. 1.8GB and 115000 files in it. I do
> not
> > have too many programs installed, have only one user on the system and am
> > very conscious of how much space my OS occupies. That is a lot of space.
>
> You have Ubuntu desktop system installed right? That is approx 1500
> packages installed. In terms of number of programs (apps/libs etc) I
> would say that is at least 800.
> 1.8G is not 'a lot of space'. A desktop install for Ubuntu takes
> around 2 GB total. Consider what all applications you get in base
> install - browser, IM, email, media players, games, complete office
> suite, CD/DVD burning tool, photo manager, scanning/printing out of
> box, PDF reader, torrent client. Do you still think you are wasting
> too much space? :-)
> By the way, number of users does not affect the content in /usr. Users
> have their own content in /home.
>
> @onkar: Thanks for reply. I am using Lucid x86_64. I agree 1.8GB is not a
lot of space, just meant for apps i installed, 1.8GB is a lot (because i
thought (wrongly) /usr contains only user installed apps). Now i know even a
fresh install would have quite a lot of files in /usr.

> > What will happen if I decide to delete my the contents of the /usr dir?
> Now
> > i know i will lose the user installed apps. What else will happen? Will
> the
> > sys be still bootable and importantly usable?
>
> bootable -> perhaps
> usable (from a normal users point of view) -> no
>
> /usr contains data related to almost 95% of applications. So if you
> delete the content try imagining what will be state of the machine.
> I am not sure why DW weekly gave advice about deleting the data form
> this directory. By the way what is DW weekly?

Distrowatch Weekly <http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100524> - An
interview with NimbleX as given here
*"DW: *Your operating system is based on Slackware. What sort of features
does NimbleX offer over plain Slackware?

*BR: *I like that Slackware doesn't make strange things with packages as
I've seen in some of the other distros and I like that Slackware is meant to
be a pure Linux that doesn't bring very specific tools. Thus far it has been
a very good starting base for NimbleX which works as live Linux under the
hood. The way NimbleX works means that you can't really break it. *Even if
you decide to save the changes in a file or in some other way, if you delete
the whole /usr directory, at next reboot you'll still have everything there*.
If someone chooses to save changes and overwrites important files with
something not OK, just deleting the changes will bring back a system that
worked exactly as it did when it was installed."

Is this behavior specific to Slackware/NimbleX ?