Just use the livecd to boot  into system and in the  shell , use
grub-install command to install grub into the system . That should work . if
the grub-install command complains of anything , post it here ..

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Arpan Patelia <arpanfor...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Follow the instructions on this page:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD
>
> This will successfully restore your grub and you will be able to use your
> existing ubuntu installation.
>
> HTH.
>

> On Sunday 05 September 2010 12:14 AM, saurav paul wrote:
>
> hi folks. i have dual booted windows xp and ubuntu 10.04. Accidentally my
> windows got corrupted and i had to reinstall windows. But the reinstall was
> a failure and now the grub is also not comming. so neither do i have windows
> nor can i boot into ubuntu. i have lots of official important documents in
> my ubuntu my documents folder and i dont have any backup of it. so if i cant
> enter ubuntu and take a backup my boss will kck my ass. Please help. How can
> i reboot in ubuntu and get my backup??

Yours Truly ,
SreeHari
www.twitter.com/Sree_Hari

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow
in Australia." -Charles Schultz