Hi

was fiddling around with my Mom's netbook - which ran dual boot
windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10.

It hadn't been updated for ages and well i updated / upgraded it -

First good news - Nothing broke and its still functional

Then the bad - lots of stuff got changed around and now it was running
the vanilla 10.04 with its left side placement of those top thingys
(never remember what they are called)

The missing Network manager applet , the not being able to connect to
the network etc. All the usual problems one gets, all of which get
resolved with some googling.

Then the one that was not so easy. My mom had an interface that i had
not seen before its called the netbook launcher , its meant for small
screens , to make the menus larger and easier to use.

That was missing and my mom was very very upset and was very clear
that henceforth i should stay away from her machine.

Anyway some more googling for netbook desktop interface and i found
this cool interface - so cool that i have installed it on mine and
really love it. Esp since it can be stopped any time.

So check it out , install by
-$ apt-get install netbook-launcher

or through Administration - Synaptic
**

then just run netbook-launcher from the command line and see the nice
new interface.

**
ram