<snip>

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         O<snip>
>          Your talking about windows, right
>
>         Some friends recently got them selves the B series laptops -
>         another
>         friend helped to make sure the onboard windows was fully
>         loaded. He
>         said that it took him the better part of a day doing that and
>         this was
>         after lenovo had a page deidicted to getting all the
>         additional
>         drivers for the machine. None of this involved installaing any
>         productivity software (none was installed) . So yes some
>         audio , video
>         drivers are needed additionally , for some machines.
>
>         I have not looked at a new windows install recently but from
>         this
>         experience its safe to say that one needs to spend time, lots
>         of time
>         to get a windows machine into a state a linux machine comes
>         with its
>         default installation.
<snip>

My experience is the same. I own an IBM Thinkpad laptop and
unfortunately had to convert from single boot Linux to dual boot for
university purposes. Took me 2 days to completely set up the machine
after taking recourse to a friend's machine to download drivers because
I foolishly expected Windows to detect hardware (this was/is WinXP) My
Net connection is through wireless and Windows couldn't detect the
network interfaces, not even wired, let alone wireless. On top of that,
it couldn't find drivers for a bunch of other devices (sound anyone?)
and every time I boot, it wants to go on the Net to find them. MS
probably has some magic technology that allows Win to access the Net
without having drivers for the network interfaces. X-(

After finally setting up the stuff, I installed all the updates from MS
and there is no space left for any user apps, never mind the data (I
only gave it 5GB) Even Ubuntu installs in less than 5GB with full setup
of packages plus Skype, restricted-extras, GIMP, Audacity, Xchat,
build-essential, etc.

Regards
Easwar

PS: By even Ubuntu I mean that there are other distros which will use up
less disk space than that.