On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com>wrote:

>   Your talking about windows, right
>
> Some friends recently got them selves the B series laptops - another
> friend helped to make sure the onboard windows was fully loaded. He
> said that it took him the better part of a day doing that and this was
> after lenovo had a page dedicated to getting all the additional
> drivers for the machine. None of this involved installing any
> productivity software (none was installed) . So yes some audio , video
> drivers are needed additionally , for some machines.
>
> I have not looked at a new windows install recently but from this
> experience its safe to say that one needs to spend time, lots of time
> to get a windows machine into a state a linux machine comes with its
> default installation.

Just wondering aloud then, what is there in 18.7GB of a standard W7 install
that i saw recently. If it does not come with atleast drivers for the basic
video and audio and input devices, then wonder what is there.

I used to have nvidia display drivers both when i had XP and also when i
used Ubuntu 9. The drivers itself occupied 180MB or more in both OS. And now
i have this Linux distro called Austrumi that is 138MB, and is a complete
desktop OS WITH nvidia drivers. Nero occupies 200MB, imgBURN does the same
job and better with 2.5MB. Wonder what do they fill the software with to
cause that bloat.

I have always believed in the KISS, minimalism, Worse is Better principles
as can be gleaned from the posts in the past. Software Bloat not welcome
atleast in my case.

Regards

Narendra Diwate