On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Nitesh Mistry <mail...@mistrynitesh.net> wrote:
> Sounds like a problem with boot sequence in bios or grub not properly
> working.
>
> Did you ensure changing the boot sequence again to HDD.

yes, currently the boot sequence in HDD first

> Oh but you say even f2 and f12 keys are also not working! That means you
> are not able to change the boot sequence or any other bios settings now?

My friend was not able to get it to work, i did , simply a matter of
getting the timing right.

> Anyways, I don't think linux would have been the cause. Doing something
> foolish with linux after install might be.

Ok so this is the sequence
After the error, i decided to do a resinstall of Linux -
It worked it ot back windows boot loader, but not the recovery partition.

So we booted into wincedows and used it and every thing was fine.,
Till shutdown - the damn wincedows would not shut down.

Thats it , zilch - so after about half an hour of waiting for windows
logging off to log off (shit down) we had to do a forced shutdown.

This resulted in going back to square one.

we decided to do a resinstall again (of Ubuntu) and sure enough things
worked -the only difference this time was we shifted boot to a
separate partition, it was combined with /(root) till now.

So again we managed to log into windows - but it still does not / did
not shutdown.

The problem seems very strange

I can think of a few things
1. Ubunu screwed up the boot loader badly

2. Windows did not know how to not handle not being in control so it
trie to mess around with the boot thingy and screwed it up. Ny friend
did say windows had a critical update that was incomplete. But am not
sure windows could have touched grub.

If its not a hardware issue then the only thinig is Ubuntu's install
is messing up somewhere.

@Nitheesh - if the same thing happened it seems to not be a
coincidence - rather a bug ??

A question - is there a way to recover windows boot loader ??

ram

ram