On 04/06/2011 07:53 PM, Stereotactic wrote:
Yes. This is also a pointer towards a larger goal of moving towards an
ecosystem. First, they move towards Unity instead of supporting Gnome,
then they refuse to contribute much to the "code",

I think you read just too many blogs than actually investigating. I
know a lot of Ubuntu developers who are *actually* contributing
upstream.

Another thing - Please understand the meaning of upstream first. Ubuntu
has more than one upstream and not only GNOME.

the roots; i.e. Debian and I am downloading the rolling release.

Ubuntu isn't a rolling release and wont be ever. It should never be a
rolling release.

Rolling release dont work for non-techie user. We geeks find it proud
to be using latest versions of everything and continuously updating our
system. Non-techies don't.

Whatever you say, Ubuntu would have never gained so much popularity
with rolling release ever.

Paid software in the software centre is a slow pointer towards
generation of ecosystem. Make the base OS free and let people pay for
the software.

Yes. It a pointer towards a good ecosystem. Paying for software is
not bad.

--
Manish