On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Stereotactic <maill...@postinbox.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 02:40 AM, Manish Sinha wrote:
>>
>> On 04/06/2011 07:53 PM, Stereotactic wrote:
> This debate can *never* be settled; so let it be.

True. So don't bring it up again ever if you can't defend.

> Thats good. Still, it's main flagship was always Gnome and hence there are

The most important upstream is still Debian, not GNOME (some-one
please correct me if wrong)

> Thats where the power of choice really is. However, Mark has mentioned
> somewhere that Ubuntu *might* become one; its an unsettled question.

He hasn't mentioned anywhere AFAIK. Instead, Rick Spencer, Desktop
Engineering Manager has stated that Ubuntu is not moving to rolling
release.

> That's an abberation. Again your opinion.

It isn't opinion, but experience.
You voice opinion, not claim opinion. If there is a claim, then it
means it is based on some experience.

> Rolling release can be based on Unstable or Testing versions; Unstable is
> not so cool as testing really is. But I let that pass. And I mention *again*
> that rolling release is *not* the point of debate.

Ubuntu does have rolling versions. It is called development versions.
You keep on updating it. Try it out.

>> Whatever you say, Ubuntu would have never gained so much popularity
>> with rolling release ever.
> Your opinion.

Not opinion, but truth.

> Linux; it's installer is best in the ecosystem. Period.
> I am NOT objecting to say Ubuntu One as a service in the cloud, for example.
> That's an additional module, not really a part of the main OS. Canonical has
> full right to charge whatever it deems fit in the cloud. Paid software in
> software centre really is pushing the commerce in user's desktops.

So what is wrong in users wanting to buy software? If they want, let
them buy. If you don't want to buy, don't buy.

> In the long run, it would slowly compromise with the ideals of Debian and
> GNU.

How? All I find is talk and no evidence. You know when we talk about
Free we mean libre and not gratis.
Please head to http://gnu.org for more information

> A non-techie user (as per your definition) would again be oblivious of
> "fancy terms and conditions"; once the critical mass, in terms of users, is
> reached, there would perhaps be no stopping Canonical to implement it's own
> (jaundiced) terms.

The license is also "Terms and conditions" for using the software. I
hope you know this. Free software license are also as fancy to the
end-user as those 20 page long EULA.
Have you ever looked how long the full GPLv2 license is?

Anyway I had a good laugh. Nice conspiracy theory.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.. http://goo.gl/NoyJS

> Perhaps it has *balls* enough but the future is going to stormy
> for all of them.

Reading this same shit for past 5 years. Nothing happened

--
Manish