On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM, KBS Ramachandra <r...@meritsystems.com> wrote:
> How do you enable typing in Indic languages directly? Is there a different
> keyboard layout for each Indian language?
>
> I setup scim and am able to write in Kannada with transliteration in gedit
>
> Would appreciate any inputs on this.

Copy pasted from a mail on the list from a few days back (subject line
"hindi fonts in Ubuntu")

To enable typing in your language of choice go to
System -> Preferences ->Keyboard

The go to LAYOUTS - Add

In Add you will be able to choose Country (India) and Variant (as in
which specific indian language you need and which type of keyboard)
For Inscript Hindi (keyboard layout attached) choose india or other
hindi variants choose what ever you like.

You can also print the Keyboard Layout for the menu option on the bottom left.

Once this is done go back and then go to layout options - here you can
select a combination of keys that moves between your default language
layout (i presume us english) and the other language(s) you may be
added. On my latop the right menu key is for hindi and the left
windows button is for english - so it just becomes another few keys to
use as part of my typing routine  आसान naa. This will work system wide
and one can even use it to make user names / passwords, folders,
files, type in every conceivable software (i think) in your language
of choice.

Further you can right click on your desktop tool bar and add keyboard
layout short cut to the panel. (in recent Ubuntu versions in appears
once you select more than one layout)

--
Ram