Thanks for all the help.

For now, I figured the convenient way of typing Kannada in transliteration anywhere in the system (which is my preference)
Just giving a gist here ::

  1. Setup SCIM
  2. Installed Kannada, Hindi and many other languages
  3. Under IMEngine -> Global Setup, Selected a hot key <Ctrl> <F11>
     for *Kannada -> iTrans*
  4. Selected a hot key <Ctrl> <F10> for English -> en-ispell
  5. Selected a hot key <Ctrl> <F12> for *Hindi -> iTrans*

Now,

To enable SCIM input method, I press <Ctrl> <Space>. If pressed again, SCIM is disabled and the keyboard input method defaults to IBus To enable Kannada within SCIM, I press <Ctrl> <F11> and *whatever I type is trans-literated to Kannada*. To enable Hindi within SCIM mode, I press <Ctrl> <F12>. *Whatever I type is now trans-literated to Hindi*
To enable English withing SCIM, I press <Ctrl> <F10>
Similarly, I could type in numerous other languages by mapping hot-keys for those languages To disable SCIM and enable the default iBus input method, I need to press <Ctrl> <Space>

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
Ramachandra