On 12 October 2012 21:14, Narendra Diwate <narendra.diw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A linux question in general.
>
> I have Debian (LMDE tracking Testing) as main OS. I was looking at the
> packages and find cpp and gcc versions 4.6 and 4.7 installed. Additionally
> its various associate packages like "base" and "gcj" are also in multiple
> versions.
>
> I find something similar in Crunchbang that is also tracking Debian
> Testing.
>
> On both, I do not have any non standard sources, nor do i have installed
> any non standard packages, except Opera Browser on LMDE.
>
> Why/How did I end up with 2 versions of the same package?
> Is this common with other users as well? Is it possible to safely remove
> one of them?

Different application packages might require different versions
of gcc, and installing these packages would have pulled these
in as dependencies without your explicitly installing them.

Yes, this is also true of my system, and I would strongly suggest
not removing these, as some application(s) in your system needs
this, and the only down-side is some extra disk space.

You should only remove them if you do not need any of the
packages that depend on it. N.B.: Be careful in following the
instructions below. For example try:
  sudo aptitude remove --purge gcc-4.4
This will list the applications that will be removed as a result
of removing this version of gcc. If you really do not need these
packages, you can go ahead with the removal. Again, I would
strongly suggest that you do not do this.

Regards,
Gora