On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt reply Mohanty.
>
> While I was not planning to remove any of them, it does seem like either a
> bad package design that different packages are dependent on different
> versions of the same package. I had a look at what would get removed and it
> was basically everything usefull and make my system pretty useless.

In case of Debian/Ubuntu one release usually has only one gcc version
as main one. So all the packages are rebuilt with this version at
least once in the release cycle. If they fail to compile then bugs are
filed and need to be fixed. In the end it is possible that some
packages do not build with main version at all and hence they will
retain dependency on older versions of gcc/libc. But number of such
packages should be minimal.

Checking the dependencies of 'gcc' and 'cpp' meta packages will give
you an idea which version is the main one. In case of current Debian
testing I think this is gcc-4.7.

I can not comment about how other distros work.

Regards,
Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.