Rich Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 03 July 2006 06:02, Matthew Revell wrote:
>
>> Howdy Rich,
>>
>> On 30/06/06, Rich Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Like I stated in a previous message is that for Canonical contact I
>>> believe we should have a POC for them.
>>>
>> I can see the benefit to this:
>>
>> * the guys at Canonical are busy, so one contact point could save them
>> from having to filter too much
>> * if we agree a stance or whatever on the ML or in meetings, the POC
>> would present those and Canonical would know what we'd agreed
>> * inevitably some marketing stuff may be commercially sensitive -
>> Canonical may appreciate someone they know will respect embargoes etc.
>>
>> On the other hand:
>>
>> * you say we should have a POC for Canonical - do you mean only for
>> Canonical? If so, why only Canonical?
>> * it could give the impression of a hierarchy that doesn't exist
>> * may discourage people's creativity/entrepreneurial spirit, if they
>> feel they have to go through an ordained channel
>> * POC may become unavailable, so we'd need to a back-up plan.
>>
>> This is just off the top of my 'ead but it'd be good to hear other
>> people's views on why, if at all, we should have one POC for
>> Canonical-related activity.
>>

>>> I can also see that it could make it appear that there is a heirarchy
>>> within the team that doesn't really exist.
>>>
>> That could be the biggest problem, so we'd need to put in place other
>> measures to ensure we remain as open and "flat" as possible - e.g.
>> make sure new people are always replied to, have wiki pages that
>> reflect our open nature, etc. It could also be that, after discussion,
>> we decide the benefits of a POC outweigh the perceived hierarchy
>> problem.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Revell
>> www.understated.co.uk
>>
> Matthew,
>
> Good points Matthew, as it seems the chose POC is currently away. Matthew I
> do
> feel everyone on this list, and everyone on this team has proving that they
> have the ability to communicate well. With that in mind I think any and all
> of us should probably communicate with Canonical. However, there will be
> those who do not communicate as well. I am looking at the situation with an
> open mind, and I think whatever the best possible solution is, we should go
> with it. Another thing is that, yes, we do not have any type of hierarchy,
> which is very popular among the Ubuntu communities, however, I think that w/o
> some sort of Chain-of-Command or hierarchy, some people may not possess the
> drive to dive into a job w/o some sort of guidance. OK, that was my 2 cents,
> however bad it was I apologize in advance. Thanks everyone!!!

Alrighty...
I do not think the team needs a chain-of-command structure, but there
are administrative issues that need to be handled. I can't really
concentrate ATM on making a concise and exhaustive enumeration of these,
but I can list a few things I've been doing that do have such a nature,
and should be the duty of whoever fulfills the role of team
contact/leader/coordinator in the future. I will be doing these things
for as long as I'm available for doing them, with or without a
title/role/whatever as is needed and required of me:
- Contacting Canonical (silbs), representing the team elsewhere
- Scheduling, chairing and summarising meetings
- Finding people for special tasks (wiki management, IRC operators, LP
team admins, graphics designers etc.) and asking them to do them on
behalf of the team.
- Advertising the team elsewhere (forums, etc.), perhaps not needed anymore.

OTOH, I believe project leaders could form a sort of council to vote on
structural decisions, such as new projects, changes in the means of
communication. Or we could have Ubuntu Members do that - I'm not sure
how many there are on the team ATM... but that doesn't really make any
sense - that would make core people not have a vote and some who are
only signed up as members have one.

Awaiting your thoughts,
Jenda