On Wednesday 16 August 2006 14:55, John Baer wrote:
> Team,
>
> I was speaking not long ago with an Information Officer for an
> organization in the Midwest (US) with supports about 30,000 Windows
> desktops. I poised the question, have you or would you ever consider
> deploying a linux desktop? She smiled and responded by saying the only
> Information Officer she was aware of to attempt this is now seeking
> employment.
>
> Why is this?
>
> 1. The status quo is hard to change. Argue in what ever manner you
> please but Microsoft is serving millions of customers.
>
> 2. Computing is serious business. Canonical, for example, lives or dies
> by its ability to manage data and I am sure everyone who works for
> Canonical takes computing seriously.
>
> I do not know the intended message for the new branding of Ubuntu. To me
> Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Long Term Support) said "I am serious and ready to do
> business".
>
> IMHO you can not follow that statement with bug #1 and I am embarrassed
> by the message.
>
> Regrettably, I am at a lost as to how to add value (excellence) and must
> take leave of Ubuntu.
>
> Good luck and best wishes to all,
>
> John

Alright, time has come to let it be known. I recently, Microsoft to persue
bigger and better things. I worked for them for quite a few years, and
actually got to spend time in and around the major teams within the
organization.

To be honest, Ubuntu isn't the only one that has a bug #1, it truthfully isn't
original, but that doesn't matter, it is a way for the Developers to have a
little fun. Just so you know, Microsoft has Linux Torvalds as the biggest bug
Microsoft has to face, the developers that is. Their developers also have
blogs, and a community just like ours.

You want to know the difference?

WE ARE OPEN, THEY AREN'T!

The proof is in the pudding, the expression goes. Google the developer blogs
for Microsoft. I have read through quite a few of them, and truthfully it
reminds me of old Al Gore campaign commercials, BORING and ROBOTIC like.

Ignorance is the reason that guy is looking for employment. It seems as if he
tried to deploy something, or had the idea of doing so, but didn't know how
to carry through with it. Myself, and quite a few others on Ubuntu Chicago
have been working with companies in the Chicago land area on getting them to
switch, and we have even been trying to provide some free support to them as
well during the initial phase. Granted we aren't switching 30k people, but
then again what person does?  Usually that is a team that would even
recommend such a feat.

John, I am sorry to see you go truthfully as your creative design and
marketing detail was a welcome. There is a big difference between
conventional marketing and open source marketing. I am having a hard time
myself trying to grasp this concept. Every concept I learned going for my MBA
was totally different then what is going on here, but I know well that some
of those concepts will work. I am used to a "Marketing Plan", and following
and adding to the plan as you go. Here there is no plan, it is all go! Hard
to get used to I know.

John, take care and the best of wishes to you as well! Godspeed!
--
Richard Johnson ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ubuntu.com <> kubuntu.com <> edubuntu.com <> xubuntu.com