Hello!

I'm aware that you people are most probably not the best contact persons
for some of the issues addressed below, so feel free to forward me
somewhere else.

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 06:49:47PM -0700, Corey Burger wrote:
> = Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter - Issue #12 =
>
> [...]

First of all, thanks for writing (or helping to write) those!

> a sneak preview news of another project, 'upstart', by
> Ubuntu Developer Scott James Remnant, designed to change the way that
> a Unix/Linux boots for the first time in 30 years.

That's complete exaggeration.  Alternative system already exist for years
(even for decades for some of them) and have been in use, only --- that's
true --- not by the mainstream distributions.  I've been using Dan
Bernstein's daemontools <http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html> or Gerrit
Pape's runit <http://smarden.org/runit/> for a long time.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy to be informed that Ubuntu decided to work
on that frontier!

> == Google Summer of Code finishes for another year ==

Congratulations for the large number of project you seem to have gotten
completed.

> == Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Updates ==
>
> OpenOffice.org 2.0.3 has been uploaded to dapper-proposed, the testing
> archive for updates to Ubuntu 6.06.  Using the -proposed archive helps
> ensure new updates are free of serious bugs, such as the X.org issue,
> before they are released to the general -updates archive.

My former girl friend was bitten by this issue, yes.

> If you are able, please help us test this update. You can find more
> information at FIXME (location of wiki page that talks about how to
> test dapper-proposed)

FIXME.  Where is that?  ;-)

I'd like to help as I have the knowledge to repair a broken system.  And
in fact I had been using dapper-proposed a few months ago.  But I
disabled it again, because it rendered the OpenOffice.org installation
unusable because of inter package problems and I didn't see a real
benefit in using it.  Now I re-enabled it.  Let's see where this will now
lead to.

... and here we go:

#v+
Preparing to replace openoffice.org-impress 2.0.2-2ubuntu12.1 (using
.../openoffice.org-impress_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement openoffice.org-impress ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-impress_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite
`/usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/fcfg_impressgraphics_filters.xcu',
 which is also in package openoffice.org-common
Preparing to replace openoffice.org-draw 2.0.2-2ubuntu12.1 (using
.../openoffice.org-draw_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement openoffice.org-draw ...
Replacing files in old package openoffice.org-core ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-draw_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite
`/usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/fcfg_drawgraphics_filters.xcu',
 which is also in package openoffice.org-common
 /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-impress_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-draw_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
#v-

That's after simply having added dapper-proposed to an otherwise clean (I
suppose) system.  Whom to contact about that?

In general, where can I read about how to help the Ubuntu project
w.r.t. testing proposed updates and also especially issues related to
using it on laptops?  (I have a ThinkPad T42.)

Regards,
 Thomas