Thomas,

Thanks for contacting us. It is always good to see people reading our stuff!

n 9/4/06, Thomas Schwinge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm aware that you people are most probably not the best contact persons
> for some of the issues addressed below, so feel free to forward me
> somewhere else.
>

> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 06:49:47PM -0700, Corey Burger wrote:
> > = Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter - Issue #12 =
> >
> > [...]
>
> First of all, thanks for writing (or helping to write) those!

Your welcome.

<snip>
> > If you are able, please help us test this update. You can find more
> > information at FIXME (location of wiki page that talks about how to
> > test dapper-proposed)
>
> FIXME.  Where is that?  ;-)

Right, that was a brown paper bag issue. I should have caught it and
didn't. There currently is no wiki page on it, although I will bug
somebody to create one

> I'd like to help as I have the knowledge to repair a broken system.  And
> in fact I had been using dapper-proposed a few months ago.  But I
> disabled it again, because it rendered the OpenOffice.org installation
> unusable because of inter package problems and I didn't see a real
> benefit in using it.  Now I re-enabled it.  Let's see where this will now
> lead to.
>
> ... and here we go:
>
> #v+
> Preparing to replace openoffice.org-impress 2.0.2-2ubuntu12.1 (using
> .../openoffice.org-impress_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement openoffice.org-impress ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-impress_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite
> `/usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/fcfg_impressgraphics_filters.xcu',
>  which is also in package openoffice.org-common
> Preparing to replace openoffice.org-draw 2.0.2-2ubuntu12.1 (using
> .../openoffice.org-draw_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement openoffice.org-draw ...
> Replacing files in old package openoffice.org-core ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-draw_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite
> `/usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/fcfg_drawgraphics_filters.xcu',
>  which is also in package openoffice.org-common
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-impress_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-draw_2.0.3-6dapper1_i386.deb
> #v-
>
> That's after simply having added dapper-proposed to an otherwise clean (I
> suppose) system.  Whom to contact about that?

Please file a bug if something in their breaks, mention is a
dapper-proposed update.

> In general, where can I read about how to help the Ubuntu project
> w.r.t. testing proposed updates and also especially issues related to
> using it on laptops?  (I have a ThinkPad T42.)

Testing laptops is the laptop testing team, which can be found at:
wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

cheers,

Corey