Hi,

Adjusting quoting accordingly, and adding fridge-devel to cc: addresses.

On Thu, July 12, 2007 10:16 am, Kat Kinnie wrote:
> Dominik Wagenfuehr wrote:

>> my name is Dominik Wagenfuehr and I'm the team leader of the news portal
>> Ikhaya of the official German ubuntu forum [1]. As in most cases our
>> team is not paid for its work and we do most of it in our free time.
>> This leads to the situation that the greater German news portals [2] [3]
>> [4] are always faster than we can post something. So if they post some
>> Ubuntu news we need to "rewrite" their text and link to them. Some users
>> think that is is a little bit confusing since we are the official Ubuntu
>> forum. They ask why we do not know this news before others.
>>
>> So we thought maybe it's possible to create a better connection between
>> the Canonical/Ubuntu marketing team and the German news team so that we
>> can post Ubuntu news when they are really happening.

{snip}

> I appreciate the dilemma.
>
> 1. Unfortunately we cannot give anyone pre-notice of news. This is
> because we may have to pull news at the last moment depending on partner
> or customer requests or other internal considerations. This happens all
> the time. So we cannot manage having news with third parties and then
> trying to ensure that they pull the news also. It's not workable.
>
> 2. However, if you send me an email address we can ensure that the news
> is distributed to you at the same time as it goes to other news channels.

I think it's clear that asking for advance notice of sensitive news
information is inappropriate. However, some broader issues arise here
which I think the various news sources can work on.

We need an rss feed for the news section of the Ubuntu website - I'm
pretty sure we have a bug open about this and that Matthew is working on
it, so not too concerned about that.

More generally, it would be pretty helpful to have one central collection
of the various news sources - perhaps the Fridge could provide an
aggregated feed of its own stories, the Ubuntu website news section, and
any other Ubuntu news sources which we feel might be relevant?

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF