On 10/2/07, Alan Pope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Corey,
>
> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 15:47 -0700, Corey Burger wrote:
> > Very cool idea. As jokosher grew out of Lugradio, maybe this could
> > help spur development of Pitivi.
>
> Thanks. Video editing is indeed a bane under Linux.
>
> I contacted the MainActor guys recently to ask what the community would
> need to do in order to get them to open source their video editor. They
> responded quickly, but are busy so said they'd get back to me in a
> couple of weeks. Fingers crossed there.

The advantage of Pitivi over MainActor is that Pitivi uses the all the
gnonlin editor stuff that jokosher uses as well. One of the main
reasons that Pitivi isn't where Jokosher is because the main Pitivi
dev, whose name I am forgetting, is also the main gnonlin dev and the
Jokosher guys kept him busy fixing gnonlin bugs. And Jono is a great
community builder.

In general, apps with just get open-sourced do very badly in terms of
community, mostly because the devs of such an app are not used to
working with the community and the very different ways the community
develops vs a closed shop (even if it is freeware).

> At last UDS I was chatting with one of the fluendo guys and there was
> talk of many improvements to Pitivi which is of course useful to know,
> but 5 months on there's been nothing of note in terms of releases:-
>
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pitivi/0.10/
>
> I'd personally put my hand in my pocket and sponsor development of an
> "iMovie for Linux" if others did the same, and we had a realistic chance
> of getting a product out at the end. What does one do in that situation?

Well, I think the main Pitivi dev is currently out of work, as he left Fluendo.

Cheers,

Corey