<reply to many>

I think there are a lot of good ideas that have been thrown out there,
but also a number of things that we need to be careful of.  Here's a
summary:

I think providing an audio version of the UWN is a good idea, even if
the audience is small.

I think it's good to see talk of more complex podcast / videocast
stuff within the context of the marketing team.

I think these are separate goals.

One of the biggest problems we run into in the wider open-source
community seems to be duplication of effort, both in code and
community promotion.  There is an active Ubuntu Screencast team, a
number of Ubuntu podcasts, and the "Behind Ubuntu" developer interview
project, all of which overlap with some of the suggested enhancements
to this idea in various replies on this list.  Now, those are all very
good things, and we should encourage them.  Additionally, having such
things within the context of the Marketing Team would be a good
thing.  See where I'm going with this yet?  ;)  Just in case you
aren't following, rather than try to start up any new projects that
would wear on already thin resources, we should take advantage of the
fantastic work that has already been done, and focus on contacting the
people responsible for the existing projects, and work towards getting
them all integrated with other Marketing Team efforts (where they are
not already).  This is not to say that the team would be "taking over"
those projects or anything, but rather making sure their leads are on
this mailing list, and able to throw ideas around with everyone else
and collaborate, and allow people currently working with the Marketing
Team who want to get involved in say screencasts to do so without
having to start up something new.  Of course, the other podcasts and
such would be more closely in tune with UWN topics this way, and could
of course use items from it as topics to elaborate on in their next
episode if desired.  We could even include a section in each UWN of
"things from the last UWN that were talked about further in our
affiliated podcast", or something like that.  In short, we should
consolidate and centralize what the entire community is doing, so that
it can work more efficiently, and be more awesome than it already is.
Is there someone who would like to volunteer for contacting project
leads of the various things out there, and making some sort of
comprehensive list of those we know of an their status with regard to
whether they are still operating separately or taking advantage of the
structure already in place through this team?

With regard to the original idea, I'd like to keep it relatively
simple, as an alternative format for the same content, for both
accessibility and personal preference applications.  It should be
available in "podcast" format, but this just means a podcast client
compatible RSS feed - not additional discussion and other elements
that are a better fit in the places mentioned above.  I own a nice
digital voice recorder, as well as having a microphone for my
computer, and since I haven't had time to do a lot of the more
involved work for the UWN over the last few months I would be happy to
take on a weekly reading of it and publishing to a feed, either alone
or with others, however is preferred.

One option for URLs would be to reference them like footnotes ("link
1") while reading the main text, and then list off the full ugly URLs
at the end, so that we aren't relying on a shortening service, but
people can still hear the body in a sane format, then cut off the end
if they wish, or stick around to get them.

I think it could also be useful to include all content - bug
statistics are at the end for a reason, but some people still like
them or they wouldn't be included at all.

Again, I definitely think we should look into expanding with other
formats and content types to get more in-depth, but would strongly
encourage this be separate from an audio version of the UWN, and
highly integrated with existing projects.

- - Tony Yarusso