Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:33 -0500, Anthony Yarusso wrote:
>> I think these are separate goals.
>>

> Agreed.
>
>> One of the biggest problems we run into in the wider open-source
>> community seems to be duplication of effort, both in code and
>> community promotion.
>
> Is that necessarily a bad thing? I know that sounds mad where
> resources are thin and to-do lists are long, but I wonder if it's
> actually a good thing that there are people out there "doing their
> own thing".
>
> Take the podcast situation for example. I know of Fresh Ubuntu <
> http://freshubuntu.blogspot.com/> and UbuntuOS
> <http://www.ubuntuos.com/> which serve different market segments
> (from what I can tell). There are of course many other
> podcasts/videocasts which touch on Ubuntu, but those were the only
> two I could find that were dedicated to Ubuntu as it were.

I don't mean to say we need to only have one of each thing, but rather
that if we don't have a reason to have multiples (such as serving
different market segments), then we shouldn't bother unnecessarily.
There are of course reasons to have more than one podcast, for
instance, which is fine - I just don't want to see us put a lot of
work into doing something when the exact same thing is already being
done, and have both groups get tired and fall apart when they could
have worked together and made a better project.
>> Of course, the other podcasts and such would be more closely in
>> tune with UWN topics this way, and could of course use items from
>> it as topics to elaborate on in their next episode if desired.
>> We could even include a section in each UWN of "things from the
>> last UWN that were talked about further in our affiliated
>> podcast", or something like that.
>
> I'm in two minds about this approach. I agree that it would be
> beneficial to get the people who run those podcasts/screencasts on
> this list (one of them is easy, it's me that leads the screencast
> team), I'm not convinced we should be trying to push content or
> direction on them. It's not too dissimilar to suggesting what
> people should blog about, which we generally don't do, do we? Well,
> okay (gutsy countdown example) sometimes we do.
Sorry, I must have been unclear.  By no means do I mean we should be
forcing content on anyone, but rather making them more aware of
possibilities, and providing a central means for discussing possible
ideas.  For instance, this list is frequently used by people both
normally subscribed and just dropping by to give suggestions for the
UWN, which can be very helpful, but of course the UWN editors are
still the ones deciding whether it goes in or not.  My idea was not to
make any project conform to a particular model, but rather to make
sure all sorts of relevant projects were able to easily communicate
with each other and share information/ideas and be aware of what else
is going on out there.  This was largely in response to the earlier
comment that many podcasts and such often have a hard time thinking of
content to include, as this would provide a better means for them to
get ideas.

>> In short, we should consolidate and centralize what the entire
>> community is doing, so that it can work more efficiently, and be
>> more awesome than it already is.
>
> Are you suggesting we should encouraging these people to put their
> plans up for scrutiny by the marketing team before they develop
> content? I'm unsure of exactly what _they_ get out of this
> relationship.
No, just that they could let us know what they are doing and hear more
of the inner workings of what we are doing, and let everyone use that
information as they see fit.  As far as what they get out of it, it's
ideas, as mentioned above.  Additionally, they have the opportunity to
say "hey, I had this idea while I was thinking of stuff for my next
podcast episode / blog post / newsletter / etc., but it doesn't really
fit in with my usual theme/audience - does anyone else want it?", and
hear such things from others if they come up.  The UWN people for
instance may have times when they can mention something that looked
really cool, but couldn't even begin to be covered fully within the
UWN, as a heads-up of something worth looking into.

>> Is there someone who would like to volunteer for contacting
>> project leads of the various things out there, and making some
>> sort of comprehensive list of those we know of an their status
>> with regard to whether they are still operating separately or
>> taking advantage of the structure already in place through this
>> team?
>>

> Sure, I'll do it.
>
>> With regard to the original idea, I'd like to keep it relatively
>> simple, as an alternative format for the same content, for both
>> accessibility and personal preference applications.  It should be
>>  available in "podcast" format, but this just means a podcast
>> client compatible RSS feed - not additional discussion and other
>> elements that are a better fit in the places mentioned above.
>
> That's exactly what I'm thinking for the audio version of UWN,
> something simple.
>
>> One option for URLs would be to reference them like footnotes
>> ("link 1") while reading the main text, and then list off the
>> full ugly URLs at the end, so that we aren't relying on a
>> shortening service, but people can still hear the body in a sane
>> format, then cut off the end if they wish, or stick around to get
>> them.
>>

> Or could we not say "link 1" etc and then at the end refer to the
> UWN article on the wiki? Having looked at the latest UWN I'd be
> sure you'd spend a fair amount of time reading out URLs at the end
> if you did it the way you suggest.
Yeah, that's probably more sane.

>> I think it could also be useful to include all content - bug
>> statistics are at the end for a reason, but some people still
>> like them or they wouldn't be included at all.
>>

> The only reason I didn't in the sample was because the PC I
> recorded on was running out of memory during the recording :)
Fair enough!

>> Again, I definitely think we should look into expanding with
>> other formats and content types to get more in-depth, but would
>> strongly encourage this be separate from an audio version of the
>> UWN, and highly integrated with existing projects.
>
> Ok. So should we have a "trial" of the audio version of UWN for a
> month or so and gather information about the popularity (how many
> downloads)? I don't mind sorting this.
>
> Cheers, Al.

Sounds good - what will manage the statistics, btw?