Hi all,

On 10/10/2007, Gerry Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Alan
>
> I am going to ask Kat to call you to go through the options here. I
> think it would be great to link to the screencasts at launch (or sooner)
> so that people not moved to download can see what the fuss is all about.
>
> Kat will work with Matt for the best way to present these - I want to
> link to your site rather then pull all the files over but keeping
> screencasts as a permanent and prominent linked part of Ubuntu.com is
> the right thing to do i think.

Just one further clarification: the screencasts are not designed as
marketing videos, but are rather explanations about how to do a
particular task on Ubuntu.

There is obviously an overlap between the two concepts i.e.
screencasts can be very useful marketing, especially if, as you
identify, there is one which showcases features of Ubuntu, and
demonstrates the desktop in general. As I understand it, the
screencasts project doesn't current have that aim, although perhaps it
could be extended. There is obviously a further overlap, in that good
access to clear explanations of how to install Ubuntu is obviously
helpful from a marketing perspective.

However, in relation to screencasts which are pure instructions on how
to accomplish a particular task, I think it's important to recognise
that screencasts are essential one aspect of documentation: text and
video in the context of *instructions* are essentially two sides of
the same concept. Video is cool and flashy, but text has its uses as
well.

I think we should try and promote the two together, in the sense that
users who we are showing instructions to should be presented with
either an option of whether to follow text instructions, or video
instructions. Ideally, they'd get both at the same time, integrated.
I'd like to work with Alan if possible to develop ways to integrate
screencasts into the online and system documentation.

I'm saying this without any pretence of independence, in the sense
that I am heavily involved in the documentation team, who produce the
"text" side of things, so I'm biased, in one sense. However, in
another sense I'm not, because my aim is to try and make sure that
different "media" for portraying instructions are thought of in the
same way in terms of promoting their use on the website and the
desktop generally.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org