>> The question here is really if the community can do that. Or do you
>> need someone like Canonical or Red Hat to take charge and come up with a
>> vision to drive that kind of marketing?
>>
>> nick
>
> Unfortunately I think the community is great at talking, talking and
> erm talking!
>
> Most ideas get talked into the ground with 10 people saying "This is a
> good idea but it'll fail because......" to every one person who actually
> has an idea!

I would have to agree with Chris on this. Maybe we need to look at a
hybrid marketing solution. Maybe something lead by Canonical and
supported by the community.

I know many of the "community" did not like the tux500 idea but it did
gain the attention of many non geek online publications. We may want to
look into other ideas like this maybe not this big but something.

Also it would be nice to see the Dell Ubuntu stuff off the hidden pages
on the dell web site and out into the open. I would really like to see
that flyer I get every week to have Ubuntu on it and not just "Dell
recommends That Other OS" plastered all over the place. I can't help be
feeling that the Ubuntu on Dell is treated as Dell's red headed step
child.

The other thing I think would be great on the gorilla marketing
department would be course materials for Ubuntu for schools. I did a 3
day training camp for two teachers here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
which resulted in Ubuntu being taught to 40 students that semester as a
workstation, LTSP install, network infrastructure server(read DHCP,
Samba, Wins, DNS). The program fell off the rails the next semester as
there were no training materials for the teachers to continue on with
were available and the Knoppix lessons that they had found were not on
target with Ubuntu. The materials also act as support docs for the
teachers as many times they are only a few pages ahead of the students. I
act as as tech industry adviser for one of the Arts and Technical schools
here and I can tell you that training materials are a sore spot for Open
Source software as a course for students as a whole. We lost the Ubuntu
stuff as the teachers could not teach then self's the systems and they
are also accustomed to Company X providing they with course materials.
They also did not want to have to call me to explain some basics all the
time. I hope that all makes sense.

Just some thoughts guys.

Thanks and take care!!

Rich