Onno Benschop wrote:
> On 06/06/08 07:44, John Botscharow wrote:
>> Onno Benschop wrote:
>>> While it might feel as if we're breaking new ground, the reality is that
>>> ubuntu-marketing team has existed for some time. (It was created in
>>> October 2005)
>>> There is a lot of new energy in the group and lots of contributions are
>>> flowing to the list, which is great to see, but there have been other
>>> times where this was the case.
>>> I suggest that you take the time between now and the meeting on
>>> Saturday, June 7 @ 21:00 UTC in [EMAIL PROTECTED] to read some of
>>> the proceedings from other meetings.
>>> I would like to think that we can learn from their experiences and build
>>> on them. I'm not saying that we should replicate their path, but just
>>> observe things with the benefit of 20/20 hind-sight. I've included
>>> historical records for your consideration below:
>>>     * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Meetings/IRCLogs/2006-06-28
>>>     * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Meetings/IRCLogs/2006-07-13
>>>     * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Meetings/IRCLogs/2006-07-21
>>>     * https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-marketing/
>>>     * http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2006/06/27/%23ubuntu-marketing.txt - and
>>>       beyond
>>> If there are other historical records you are aware of, or if you are
>>> part of the history, please feel free to comment on this thread.
>>
>> A good suggestion. I looked at the last two already. And your suggestion
>> about researching the history brings up part of the reason I suggested
>> in the agenda that we think about setting up a forum as a way of keeping
>> an more organized record of important discussions. Searching email
>> archives can be quite difficult and time consuming and VERY frustrating
>> if you want to find something important.
>>
> This illustrates my point exactly.
>
> The very first link I provided has a whole thread about the same
> discussion, to have a forum or not. This same argument comes up in many
> discussion lists I manage or participate in.
>
> The simple matter is that to all intent, a forum is a web-based mailing
> list.
>
> If you have a means to search the mailing list archive, then you have
> the same functionality in a more accessible form - that is, it can be
> used in more places. An example that comes to mind is a little side
> project that one of the ubuntu-server team is working on that
> categorises emails dynamically to allow a high-level view of the
> on-going conversation.
>
> Personally, I think a forum is a poor substitute for a discussion,
> because it relies heavily on a web application, databases and other
> sophisticated environments to create a "gui" to a basically static chunk
> of text.
>
> So, do we need the ability to search the mailing list - absolutely, but
> changing to a forum makes no sense to me.
>
> As for searching the list:
>
>     * Add "site:https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-marketing/"; to
> [...]
Now that would be a HUGE help. I have saved every list email since I
joined and my thunderbird can search those no problem, but I've only
been a member of this list a short time, so my archive is rather limited
:-) Being able to EASILY search the entire archive would help us new
people a lot.

I need to clarify my earlier statement about a foru, I did not mean it
as a REPLACEMENT for the list, but rather as a SUPPLEMENTARY form of
communication. Your comments about a forum being erb-based and "static
 which I think you meant as "criticisms" are what I consider the
strenfths of a forum.

A forum allows for more flexibility in changing the topic heading than a
mailing list. Most people do not take the time to change the subject in
a reply that is off-topic from the original subject and I do not know if
it can be done after the fact in a list archive, but I do know that it
can be done on a forum. That would make searching the archives much
easier, as well as better linking of posts on the same subject.

Both forums and mailing lists are only as good as the people using them.
And how good people are is dependent on what they are comfortable with.
Your confort zone is mailing lists; mine is forums - mainly because I do
not have a mailing list on my site, but I do have a forum. And some
forums allow for email posting :-)

Peace!

John

- --