I found this thoughtful article on mass Linux migration and the
factors influencing it:

What drives a mass Linux migration?
http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18625&Itemid=1090&limit=1&limitstart=1&mosmsg=Thanks+for+your+vote%21&mosmsg=You+already+voted+for+this+item+today.
(sorry for the long url. It is also found via search engines ok)

I found the article interesting because  there is certainly an ebb and
flow of energies when operating systems are in question.
If you have time, do also read the response comments - they are
informative an done or two worthy of a chuckle. For example:
one comment ends with a question:
'This is my question...if I can get a group of psychiatric patients to
use linux why can't people get a group of "university trained" senior
bureaucrats to accept linux as an operating system option?'
To which an answer is later offered:
'Remember that the patients are there because there crazy, not because
there stupid!'

I was personally involved with a decision about which OS to use many
years ago in a UK company, although Linux was not at that time one of
the options. In the case in my experience, it was the familiarity that
the operators at the work bench had with the OS they used at home
(Windows) which won the day, against a good technical case the IT
department had for OS/2. It showed to me that even unlikely decisions
can be made if the common user likes it enough. Translated into a
Linux migration scenario it means to me that the popular use of Linux
(Ubuntu) can have a powerful influence, every bit as important as
corporate or political drivers.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391