Hi,

I share your view Bruno. The meeting was definitely a success in those
points, and it was getting very long indeed, I was starting to get fed
up to the end, as a couple of others I believe.

But I must admit that, having thought about it a lot, John is perfectly
right also, concerning the need of a core marketing group, the "kernel"
as he nicely put it during the meeting ;-). Was it a mistake, a big
loss, not to have defined it two days ago? I think not. It is not good
to precipitate these things, maybe John was ready and had his ideas
clear about this need, but visibly it was not the case for all of us.
Now, I can say that I am not only half agreeing, but fully behind the
suggestion of a "framing" (I feel this expression better than
"leading"...) core group for the team. Yes, the people that discussed on
IRC that day are absolutely necessary if we want things to move on. (I
would like to make it clear that I am not talking of _one_ leader, but a
group, indeed similar to the people that were on IRC.)

Furthermore, I also believe that we _can_ touch the world with our
marketing.
Also, you are right in saying that we do not only have to set up this
infrastructure, but also have a strong *creating* role, we have to, as
you said; "develop the marketing tools for the LoCos to use. Everything
from release party guides to how to talk to a Windows user to how to
market in general.". But there we have a question of priorities we are
setting ourselves! In my opinion, as I made it clear with Hubuntu during
the meeting, it is most important and necessary to set up the said
infrastructure, in order to centralize all existing resources (more than
you'd think!).
But I cannot deny the other mission we have, and that some of us will
feel much more committed to it, and will be more effective in this role.
To solve our dilemma, if we don't agree on our primary objective, I feel
that (until SU is set up and running!) we are to create two distinct
work groups in the team, which will raise our efficiency at its highest.

This is what I study, at HEC Management school in Liège (similar to the
one in Paris), and this is one thing I can assure you: It is more
effective and productive to have two motivated work groups rather than
pulling the whole team into a direction, that not all feel to be the
priority. This does not, at all, interfere with the organisation and
structure of the core marketing group, that should imperatively keep the
one-team structure as its reality. If we have to nominate two work group
"contacts", fine, I think that this might be necessary for the same
reasons we need a core team.

Before I finish, I would like to point out that my views on group
dynamics and email (as Onno said) are not the same either, I find the
current way of functioning very effective for the moment. If I can give
you some advice... I also had it very hard with XChat (don't know which
client you are using) and I instantly *loved* IRC when I discovered
Konversation, it is the only KDE program I run... I felt it much more
gentle with my eyes. But this is a very personal opinion, and not an
invitation to debate, just saying how I solved my "IRC-hurts-my-eyes"
problem.

Wishing you all a nice day,
Pierre Vorhagen,
pep.