My two cents:

I think a meeting to discuss the direction of the Ubuntu Marketing team
would be a great first step. I would be excited to participate. I can make
time on Monday the 2nd as suggested by Martin. We do need a leader(s) to
provide a coherent goal/strategy and to prioritize activities supporting
that strategy. My opinion is that marketing should focus on getting the
Ubuntu message out. Ubuntu is "Linux for human beings" but a lot of less
tech savvy users either don't know about Ubuntu or are intimidated by
anything "Linux" (they think "oh I don't know enough about computers to use
Linux - that's for programmers.")

I would suggest:

   - The main *goal *of the Ubuntu Marketing team should be to increase the
   OS marketshare for Ubuntu.
   - The *strategy *would be to raise awareness and understanding of the
   benefits of Ubuntu vs. other OSs
   - The *activities *would be activities (blogging, setting up labs at
   universities, hosting Windows 7-style "launch parties" [kidding on that last
   one] etc.) that the community and Locos would carry out. We could decide on
   specifics of those at the meeting.

These are my suggestions for a starting point and I hope that you all can
improve on them. And while I don't think that we need financial support from
Canonical, it would be nice to have an "official" representative from
Canonical at the meeting. A little direction from Canonical could go a long
way in helping the community decide where to focus and then supporting the
community in its activities.

 Mozilla has done a great job of this. Check out (
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/.) By contrast, the efforts of the Ubuntu
marketing group have been (or at least seemed to me) very ad hoc and
targeted at the existing Ubuntu community. E.g. I love the magazine and the
volunteers do a great job on it. However, the magazine isn't an initiative
to evangelize people outside of the existing Ubuntu community - it is
something that engages the existing user base.

Perhaps some Locos are doing things to get the word out about Ubuntu, but it
would be great to do some coordination and share what works.

Jake