On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 14:10 -0600, John Vilsack wrote:

> re 1: Design is what happens once you know what you are trying to say.

You couldn't be more wrong. Design starts with defining what you are
trying to say. Unless you look at clueless wannabes.

> This all depends on what you consider "swallowed".  I'm sure there are
> many artists who would be willing to help good projects that have a
> vision, but a lack of implementation.  Concurrently, having the art
> team understanding the goals of the "message" per release save for
> which animal is in vogue this cycle wouldn't be the end of the world.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation#On%20Design
2nd and 3rd.

> You can't speak to a thing if you don't know what to say.

Heh, that's why serious design starts there ;)

> Without the ability to stay on message and ensure that key resources
> are getting the right exposure, simply yelling "TRY UBUNTU" and then
> expecting someone else to pick it up from there is simply
> irresponsible.

Trying to be responsible for every single aspect of the big picture is
in itself not responsible. It's too much at once.

Of course everything you listed has to be taken care of and I would
welcome a stronger sense of structure and having a well defined message.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/