I've been having some discussions with the contact for the Norwegian
LoCo, Rubén Romero -- huayra on IRC -- regarding syndication of
videos. I bring this to your attention of two main reasons: 1) the
problem might not be restricted to our LoCo and 2) we don't feel
competent enough to decide which course of action is best suited to
obtain our goals. I am hoping to find a canonical way of doing this,
or if none exists, to create one. I also hope that this discussion
will be a narrow one, with a clear focus on the task at hand, because
I feel that a good solution might make it much easier for us to create
content on a global scale. Would it, for instance, be possible to
create a screencast of a new release that is translated to all
languages and told by the best narrators we have to offer in each
country? This would have the advantage of cross language
contamination, which in and off itself would not only be of great
marketing benefits, but also prove that we're able to do the things
that only the great multinational corporations have been able to do
until now. I obviously believe that it is possible, but I also believe
that it is one of those things we have to do in order to prove that we
have come of age. So the question is how.

To me, the obvious choice is YouTube, not only because it's the most
well known video sharing website, but also because of our ties -- on
all levels -- to Google. I have seen channels on YouTube, but I don't
have any experiences with creating one. I also think we should not let
ourselves become blind sided on YouTube. There might be other choices.
Therefore, I present a list of goals that I personally think is
essential, in the hope that someone has A Correct Answer. If we cannot
come up with one, then I feel it is a bug of similar magnitude to #1.

* 1) We need leadership.
* 2) Leadership should not depend on any single individual.
* 3) Content should be created by any user on their own account, not a
central one.
* 4) Content that we use must be explicitly licensed in a free way.
* 4) Editors and administrators should be separate roles, the
administrators being those responsible for passwords, etc.
* 5) Content suitable for i18n should be pushed upstream to a wider audience.

What is the best solution? Have I missed something in my list of goals?

Let the games begin.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad