Brandt, Todd E wrote:
> This is a patch to the lsb-base package. It's the cause of
> the error in the network-manager installation with
> moblin-image-creator.
>
> Basically when you install the ubuntu mobile fset, it tries
> to install the ubuntu-mobile meta package which points to
> network-manager and network-manager-gnome. When
> network-manager is installed it runs a post install script
> that restarts the NetworkManager service. This script calls
> the log_daemon_msg function to print out a little message to
> the effect of "restarting network manager service... ".
> Log_daemon_msg is a function defined in
> /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh and it attempts to display the
> message in a fancy way on the terminal screen. To do this it
> gathers info on how many columns there are by calling "tput
> cols", which it just assumes returns a valid number. This is
> the bug. For some reason, "tput cols" returns -1 when it's
> called from apt-get from within a moblin-image-creator target
> root. This ends up getting processed and given back to tput
> as an argument later on and the "-" causes tput to barf
> because it thinks the number is an option that doesn't exist.
>
> This patch adds a check to ensure that the column value is
> usable. The script already defaults to 80 columns if "tput
> cols" returns nothing, so I just expanded that case to
> include returns of 6 columns or less.

This is all well and good.  But to me the main problem is that
"network-manager" is not using invoke-rc.d well enough.  If invoke-rc.d
won't start the service then I think that we should not be restarting
the dbus services.

Enclosed is a patch to "network-manager" which fixes this.  I am not
sure who could test and apply this patch.  I have tested it on my system
and it works.  Maybe Alexander Sack can apply the patch.

John