On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 07:07 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> I chatted to Bob about this briefly on Friday, but thought I'd mail the
> list to make sure that I don't end up doing anything unexpected.
>
> I've been looking into uploading gstreamer-dbus-media-service and
> mobile-player. I've got everything working and building happily, but
> there's a few changes I'd like to make:
>
> 1) Rename org.gnome.MobileMediaService to org.moblin.MobileMediaService
> - using Gnome's namespace for an interface that isn't part of Gnome
> doesn't sound like the best plan to me.

I thought we did this already... yea, this needs to be fixed.

> 2) Adapt mobile-player to use directories in ~ rather than /usr/share
> for user information. Right now it wants to write files to /usr/share,
> which isn't going to work now that we're not running as root. Either it
> needs to be able to deal with the concept of merging multiple data
> sources (one read-only and another read-write) or we can just move
> everything into the user home directory. The downside of the simple
> approach is that it makes it harder to provide example data. I'm not
> much of a Python person, so I'm not so keen on implementing the more
> difficult side of things. If that can get worked out, it would be great.

I meant to write a bug on this but never followed through.  Perhaps the
right approach for providing some minimal sample media would be to
install the files in /usr/share, but then have the player copy over the
sample media when it runs for the first time as a given user (i.e. when
it constructs the media database in ~/.something-or-another.)

> 3) Possibly rename mobile-player to moblin-player or moblin-media? This
> would be more consistent with the naming of the other packages.

I like moblin-media. Anyone else?