Rusty Lynch wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 07:07 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> I chatted to Bob about this briefly on Friday, but thought I'd mail
>> the list to make sure that I don't end up doing anything unexpected.
>>
>> I've been looking into uploading gstreamer-dbus-media-service and
>> mobile-player. I've got everything working and building happily, but
>> there's a few changes I'd like to make:
>>
>> 1) Rename org.gnome.MobileMediaService to
>> org.moblin.MobileMediaService
>> - using Gnome's namespace for an interface that isn't part of Gnome
>> doesn't sound like the best plan to me.
>
> I thought we did this already... yea, this needs to be fixed.

Got it.
...and I believe moblin-media doesn't yet have MobileMediaService as an
install dependency.

>> 2) Adapt mobile-player to use directories in ~ rather than /usr/share
>> for user information. Right now it wants to write files to
>> /usr/share, which isn't going to work now that we're not running as
>> root. Either
>> it needs to be able to deal with the concept of merging multiple data
>> sources (one read-only and another read-write) or we can just move
>> everything into the user home directory. The downside of the simple
>> approach is that it makes it harder to provide example data. I'm not
>> much of a Python person, so I'm not so keen on implementing the more
>> difficult side of things. If that can get worked out, it would be
>> great.
>
> I meant to write a bug on this but never followed through.  Perhaps
> the right approach for providing some minimal sample media would be
> to install the files in /usr/share, but then have the player copy
> over the sample media when it runs for the first time as a given user
> (i.e. when it constructs the media database in
> ~/.something-or-another.)

Sounds like a simple solution.  So to recap:
        1) moblin-media package will contain a few samples (recommend: 2
pics, 1 song (short), 1 video)
        2) when run, moblin-media will check for ~/media/ folder (any
reason to hide it with .media?)
          2a) if no ~/media folder, then create ~/media/photo,
~/media/video, ~/media/music and copy over sample content

Question:  If we were to create a separate moblin-media-sample-content
package, where would it install its contents?  How would these get into
~/media for the installing user given that installation is always done
as root?  (noob question)

>> 3) Possibly rename mobile-player to moblin-player or moblin-media?
>> This would be more consistent with the naming of the other packages.
>
> I like moblin-media. Anyone else?

moblin-media   Already in the works.