I would gladly make the change to the hildon-desktop code to pull in a
statusbar.d directory, however I'm not sure the owner would agree to
accept it and it may take a while to push upstream. I can take the AR to
ping the maemo folks about it though.

As for the sudoers issue, there are currently three "applications" that
need to be granted root access to be run by ume: network-admin and
time-admin from the gnome-system-tools package, and moblin-touchscreen
which edits the xorg conf file. All three are executed by a call to
g_spawn_async with gksu as the command and the argument as one of the
aforementioned three apps.

Without the sudoers edit they cause the password request screen to pop
up, which, while a minor inconvenience on desktop environments, is a
major hassle on a mobile device, particularly as most mobile users won't
even be aware of or care about accounts or passwords.

If editing /etc/sudoers directly is unacceptable, perhaps we can work to
upgrade the sudo package to provide a safe, standard infrastructure for
allowing specific users to execute specific processes as root without a
password. Maybe a sudoers.d directory which includes more complex data
files that tie user ids to executables as well as the packages they're
installed in.

I'm just hesitant to create some sort of moblin-applets root settings
daemon which will require intimate knowledge of packages we don't
control (gnome-system-tools for instance).