On 2007-07-15 07:37:12 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>     As a result of this, I am now uncertain whether to prefer
> something as part of the package, or as a launchpad whiteboard.
> Personally, I believe my workflow would be simplified for notes within
> the package, but downloading source is a low barrier for me: each
> developers' environment differs, and for some it may be signficiantly
> higher.

Both LP and a text file in the package have their advantages and
disadvantages.

The advantage of LP would be that information can be updated independent
from the package. If somebody does a merge and get stuck at some place
(like FTBFS due to new libs), one could add a note mentioning it. Or
that is in contact with Debian or upstream about an issue and that the
package should currently be not merged.

But I don't feel like bug reports are the right place for such
information. One would need a convention how those bug should be named
to be easy to find by mergers, especially if the packages has many bugs
(like some packages in main).

The disadvantage is that one needs to go to LP to get it but one should
check the bug lists for easy fixes/ patches when doing an upload/merge.
Therefore I don't see it as a real disadvantage.

The advantage of a file in the source package is that one has it
automatically when one fetches the source.
But the big disadvantage is that one needs an upload to update that
file.

If the package has a bzr branch one could update the file there but most
packages haven't a bzr branch yet. And what about package which are in a
Debian VCS?

I don't know what the best solution for this but it should work for both
main and universe packages easily.

Regards,
Michael