Cesare Tirabassi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> how can we keep a useful review tool (it being REVU or LP or whatever)
> and at the same time ensure that the quality of the packages being
> reviewed is above a certain basic standard and that only packagers that
> have a real interest to submit and follow up are allowed to do so?

Thanks for rising this very interesting topic! This has been on my mind
since quite some time now

> Personally, I only see as a solution that of changing the
> ubuntu-universe-contributors team participation from an open to a
> restricted one.  Only contributors that can show a minimum level of
> competence as well as a continued interested in Ubuntu and packaging
> should be allowed to join this team, and therefore contribute new
> packages to universe.

I tend to agree with changing the joining policy of
ubuntu-universe-contributors. This leads to the question who adds people
to the team? The administrators of that team would need to decide who is
able to submit packages for review and who is not. Given that the group
we are talking about is expected to still learn about packaging, we
cannot use that as criterium.

> Note that these contributors will effectively also become filters,
> through which, under their responsability, everybody would still be able
> to upload new packages for review.

Right, the ppl could sponsor anyone.

--
Gruesse/greetings,