On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Johan De Taeye
<johan_de_ta...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>We get far more package submissions than we can review every cycle. I
>>> generally recommend getting
>>>your package into Debian and then it will be sync'ed into Ubuntu. There
>>> are a lot more developers in Debian.
> But, could this be documented?
> When people submit their package they know what they are up to.
> It'ld avoid people (like me) trying to learn the process, uploading their
> package in good faith and getting (a bit) frustrated.
> I fully understand and appreciate all the work the team is doing.
> Just trying to be positive and see how things can be improved...

As Scott has pointed out, it's a problem of having enough volunteers
to do the work. I am trying to improve the situation personally by
working with Debian teams instead of Ubuntu for my own packages that I
want to get in, reviewing packages and giving advice now and then on
REVU, and working towards becoming a MOTU myself, but it's slow going.
The best way to improve is for more people to do the same.

Even if you are not yet MOTU, I think one of the best ways to learn is
to review other peoples packages. I have learned many things to
improve my own packages by carefully looking at other peoples
packages, reading the existing reviews, and trying to see what things
would need to be fixed before I would consider the package fine to
upload. Doing code review is a really fantastic way to learn.
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/