On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:28:26PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> This is pretty close to the UDS discussion. A number of Kubuntu people
> wanted a separate package set because, specifically, of people who
> focused on these packages getting deferred from MOTU because the had
> worked too much on KDE stuff.

Like Michael, I'd like to hear more about this. I don't recall anything
like this.

> Several people, myself included, argued against this since if we
> fragment Universe too much, the potential set of MOTU recruits will
> narrow significantly. We decided that it was perfectly OK for
> potential MOTU to be somewhat focused as long as they were well
> integrated with the MOTU community.

Let me just for the record say that I maintain that what Fabrice did and
said was a friendly and helpful piece of advice. shadeslayer asked about
a mentor for his path towards MOTU. Shortly thereafter, he mentions that
he's been working on a qt package at which point Fabrice lets him know
there are other fora available for people focused on those things.
Seeing as he's looking for a mentor and apparantly has an interest in
qt/kde stuff, it seems helpful to me to tell him that the folks who
focus on that hang out elsewhere.

With that out of the way, let's focus on what I think is key here. I
hardly think Fabrice meant to (nor actually did, but I acknowledge that
this is disputed) brush off shadeslayer. He suggested that he could
connect to the kubuntu channels, thereby implying that he believes
there's more qualified help and/or mentoring to be found there for the
stuff that he seems interested in.

Why would he do that?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say:

   Because it's true.

Kubuntu folks hang out in Kubuntu channels. Server people hang out in
server channels. This is normal. What sort of mean person would /not/
tell a prospective Kubuntu developer to strike up a conversation with
likeminded developers?

Seriously, if I came into #ubuntu-motu and desperately wanted to work on
server or virtualisation stuff, I'd be pretty pissed if weeks went by
before anyone told me that there were IRC channels /dedicated to the
exact stuff that I'm interested in/. You can bet your shoes that I'll
keep referring people to other channels if I think they'll get better
help there for exactly as long as I believe this is still true.

If you want me to stop doing so, you need to make it not be true
anymore. Simple as that. If something changes so that I think it's
likely that people will get just as qualified guidance for Kubuntu stuff
in #ubuntu-motu as in #kubuntu-devel (I don't even know how that will
make sense, but let's just pretend that it does), sure, I /might/
consider refraining from mentioning the existence of #kubuntu-devel to
them, but until then I think it's pretty effing rude not to let them
know that these other fora exist.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer