"Michael Bienia" <mich...@bienia.de> wrote:

>On 2010-06-17 08:17:04 -0400, Ralph Janke wrote:
>> On 06/16/2010 02:52 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> >
>> > This is not isolated to people working on KDE stuff. With the advent of
>> > more and more package sets, people are more likely to get granted upload
>> > privs to those rather than getting full MOTU or core-dev, since (at
>> > least I'm reasonably sure this is the case) being interested in working
>> > on a limited set of more or less related packages is more common than
>> > being interested in working on all sorts of completely random stuff.
>> >

>> This is exactly what the discussion at UDS tried to avoid.
>>
>> Furthermore, does that also mean that people that work primarily
>> on Gnome packages will have the same of similar restrictions?
>>
>> This discussion shows exactly why people are turned off. It is not
>> about enhancing the abilities of talents in conjunction with optimizing
>> QA, it sound rather like privilege, exclusivity and control.
>
>Before archive reorganisation the world was easy:
>- you work on all kind of packages in universe => MOTU
>- you work on all kind of packages in main => core-dev
>- you work on KDE packages in universe => MOTU
>- you work on KDE packages in main => core-dev
>and similar for Gnome.
>
>With archive reorganisation and the coming of packages sets it has
>changed. I know we aren't yet at the point archive reorganisation has
>imagined and that what's makes the situation more difficult now:
>- you work on all kind of packages in universe => MOTU
>- you work on all kind of packages in main => core-dev
>- you work on KDE packages in main => kubuntu-dev
>- you work on Gnome packages in main => ubuntu-desktop
>
>- you work on KDE packages in universe => ???
>Should it be MOTU or a seperate package set (I don't know what exactly
>was discussed at UDS about it). Isn't it one of the basic ideas of
>archive reorganisation to have more such package sets and have more
>finer control on what kind of packages someone can upload (based on
>their expierence)? And how will this result in the expected experience
>to join those teams?
>
>I know if was discussed at UDS Lucid what task MOTU have and should
>continue to have but IIRC not where MOTU sorts itself in the light of
>more packages sets coming.
>And until it's all sorted out, different people have different opinions
>on it which will lead to some fraction.

This is pretty close to the UDS discussion. A number of Kubuntu people wanted a
separate package set because, specifically, of people who focused on these
packages getting deferred from MOTU because the had worked too much on KDE
stuff.

Several people, myself included, argued against this since if we fragment
Universe too much, the potential set of MOTU recruits will narrow
significantly. We decided that it was perfectly OK for potential MOTU to be
somewhat focused as long as they were well integrated with the MOTU community.

This is part of why I am so frustrated at the moment.

Scott K