On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:01:03AM -0800, Joseph Areeda wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I am retired from a career in software development and medical
> research.  I've been using Unix since 1983 (at least that's the first
> comment in my .cshrc file) and Ubuntu for about a year.  I like Ubuntu
> and would like to give back a little by participating in QA and perhaps
> a bit of coding.
>
> I've been reading Wiki's and this mailing list, signed up for the mentor
> thing, but that seems slow moving, so let's try this list.  I need some
> help or focus to get started.
>
> I've read that testing on a virtual machine is not as good as a hardware
> install, but it seems to a good place to start with an alpha release,
> especially one like Natty which has extensive UI changes.

One can do lots of testing in a virtual machine and we welcome any help!

> I thought I'd start with VirtualBox and load my favorite packages and
> get the feel of it before I loaded it onto hardware but I can't seem to
> get it to load.  I'm running 10.04 LTS (Linux jsa 2.6.32-29-generic
> #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 20:52:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux) on a
> laptop (I5 4Gb) and a desktop (AMD Phenom X6 16GB).  I downloaded the
> latest Vbox from Oracle (4.04).  I use zsync to update a few times over
> the last week, they all behave the same.
>
> The install iso boots but never makes it past the first screen
> "Preparing to Install Ubuntu", attached is the VM log, if anyone can see
> what I'm missing I'd appreciate it.

As mentioned in another post you've certainly hit a bug here.

> I can run Meerkat (Linux meerkat 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue
> Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux) in a VM with the same
> settings.  I've tried a bunch of different ones and both 32 and 64 bit
> versions.

You could test the distribution upgrade process and then be running the
development release that way.  You'd need to use 'update-manager -d' to
get update manager to check for the development release though.

In case you didn't run across it here is some documentation regarding
testing - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master