Dear QA Team,

as promised, here it is a list of tasks that need to be done and we are
in the process of doing that you could own if you have the time:

- ISO testing tasks
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-p-builds-smoke-testing):

  1) Compile a list of applications that are installed by default by the
ISO installers (one for Desktop, one for Server) and propose two or
three basic test cases that could be run post install giving us basic
confidence that the ISO is good for further testing (i.e. compile a list
of post-install smoke tests that we could run with Jenkins).
        - This task is not about generating code, but about thinking of what
packages of the ones installed are important and worth testing in a
daily test suite. We could split it in different tasks for different
people if we generate first a list of apps that we can use for the
generation of test cases.
  2) We need to fix the existing test cases in the tracker and convert
them to a better, more understandable format. Basically we need to
convert them to unambiguous and meaningful test cases. Some of them are
redundant, some of them are too long to be just one test case, some
others do not make sense anymore. This is a tidy up task that needs to
be done.

- Metrics
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-p-qa-metrics):
  3) I have some tasks here that could use some help. We need to look at
the codebase of Ubuntu main and see how to instrument the code so that
we can start generating code coverage metrics. This is about compiling
the Ubuntu code with gcov and generating binaries that can be used
(still to be seen how to install them) for this end.
        - This task requires code in-depth knowledge and familiarity on how
things are built and can be changed to build in a different way. We
should decide where to start instrumenting and why.

  4) Look into how to do test escape analysis with launchpad. TEA is an
analysis that will tell us, after Precise, if we missed some problems
that were found by someone after we did our testing and that should help
us understand whether we should be adding new test cases in those
"missed" areas or not.

  5) Gather test cases from defects. This is about making a list of
defects that have been fixed for Oneiric and that have a set of steps to
reproduce the problem that needs to be gathered and written into a
proper test case.

- Test Case Management System
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-p-qa-test-case-management-tool)
   6) Still not available, but when it is, review and give feedback
about litmus and its usability. Also help decide how to configure it to
make it more suitable for the Ubuntu community testing.

- QA Backlog tasks
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-p-qa-backlog)
  7) Review and change the wiki to reflect the new approach to QA.

Please, bear in mind that since we don't have the test case management
tool up and running yet, we need to keep our test cases in text files or
open office documents (prefereably spreadsheets) for now. As soon as we
have chosen a tool to handle them, we will be using that.

I have added a template at the bottom of the test cases page, feel free
to use it for your newly generated test cases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/TestCase

You can also modify it to contain a link to the old test case whenever
you are improving an existing test case.

Let us know which tasks you are interested in and I will be mapping
tasks in the blueprints to people, so that we keep track of what
everyone's doing and do not duplicate work. I have numbered the tasks to
make it easier to discuss about them.

You don't need to take an entire task if you feel you can only work on
two or three test cases, you just say so and we will make sure nobody
else is working on the same ones as you.

Looking forward to your answers!
Gema

--
Gema Gomez-Solano        <gema.gomez-sol...@canonical.com>