Welcome! I also had an underpowered laptop for a long time. Not to make this into a support thread, but I would offer using the alternate install cd and installing the server edition. Then install something like flubox or jwm or enlightenment, etc.. really any other lightweight window manger should work. This should allow your system to perform nicely. In addition, you can try using a lightweight browser.

ISO Testing to make sure the installer works and installs properly is part of our on-going tasks. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/TasksPrecise Since the eeePC would have to be booted and installed using usb this would make an interesting test case for our generated isos. Cheers,

Nicholas