Hello,

Just joined the group. I've been a Linux user since the late 90's and
an Ubuntu user since 07. I've contributed to some bug reporting and
pages on the help wiki.

At the moment I have AntiX on my Asus EeePC simply because Ubuntu was
using too much memory. I had problems with Firefox maxing out the
memory and hitting the swap very hard. Swap access is just way too
slow on an Eee 701 with a slow SSD and 512mb of memory. Actually
everything else seems to run fine with an Ubuntu installation ...
except for the memory problem. I tried the other Ubuntu distro's like
Lubuntu but they have the same problem (they are aimed more at the
later Eee's). The general advice is to use a distro like AntiX, but I
don't see why Ubuntu could not have a repository package that strips
everything down - removes unnecessary kernel modules and other memory
and space saving tactics. Don't know if I'm in the right place for
that kind of development but I can do testing (boot on a live Ubuntu
SSD?) and I can help in many other ways.

Barney