On 08/27/2012 01:15 PM, Carla Sella wrote:
On 08/27/2012 05:44 PM, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:
On 08/27/2012 11:29 AM, Elfy wrote:
On 27/08/12 16:16, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:
On 08/27/2012 10:01 AM, Elfy wrote:
On 20/08/12 23:46, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:

For those of you braving ARM installations, I tried an sd-based installation this week and updated the instructions on the wiki page. Elfy, Carla, et la, I can confirm your findings of this bug(s):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1036742
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1036988
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/base-installer/+bug/313452

and the workaround. It's documented for now on the page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/QA/Pandaboard

Thanks!
Nicholas

Got today's .img

Tried following the wiki to the letter.

I am almost positive I am doing something wrong here :)

I do *sudo umount /dev/sdd

*I do *sudo dd bs=4M if=quantal-desktop-armhf+omap4.img of=/dev/sdd ; sudo sync

*It looks like it's doing something - terminal tells me it's done something.

If I try to just boot the image on the card without worrying about installing it - left hand board led lights up only.

File manager tells me there is exactly nothing on the card.

Gparted tells me that there now no partitions on the card.

Now - what I am not sure of is whether I have other bugs on this 12.10 system I run causing all this lol

Elfy, what's 'sudo fdisk l' show.? /dev/sdd is your usb disk right? :-) And yes, after your run the dd command, the usb disk should have partitions on it and files..one is a boot partititon, athe other contains the installer and files.

Nicholas
Whoops - there's a blank one flying about too ...

Anyway - this is fdisk/umount/dd and then fdisk again

    sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for hob:

    Disk /dev/sdd: 7948 MB, 7948206080 bytes
    245 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1021 cylinders, total 15523840 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id System
    hob@sidh:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdc
    umount: /dev/sdc: not mounted
    hob@sidh:~$ cd Desktop/
    hob@sidh:~/Desktop$ sudo dd bs=4M
    if=quantal-desktop-armhf+omap4.img of=/dev/sdd ; sudo sync
    5+1 records in
    5+1 records out
    22740992 bytes (23 MB) copied, 1.93299 s, 11.8 MB/s
    hob@sidh:~/Desktop$ sudo fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/sdd: 7948 MB, 7948206080 bytes
    245 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1021 cylinders, total 15523840 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id System
    hob@sidh:~/Desktop$

You umounted /dev/sdc :-) You have to unmount a parition anyways, so it would be something like /dev/sdd1, etc. Try putting a partition on /dev/sdd , making sure you can mount it, and then issuing the dd command. Obviously it will be wiped by dd, but let's confirm the disk is working.

Nicholas

Hello,
I tried too to download today's image, but strangely it's only 22MB big, normally it was 660MB. I tried to copy it to my SD card as I have always done, but when you then launch gparted you get no partitions on it. I checked the md5sum and it's ok, but 22M can't be right, could there be something wrong with the image loaded on the iso tracker ?
Carla
--
Carla Sella
email:carla.se...@gmail.com

Yikes! 22mb file? Elfy, Carla, yep definitely not a valid image. I marked it for re-build. As I mentioned, this week is going to be crazy with images failing all over the place. Keep your eyes open!

Nicholas