On 04/12/12 20:18, Jackson Doak wrote:
> bug 1085171 will make things interesting

Hey, regarding this bug, I have been trying to figure out the extent and
the cause.

I'd like to ask everyone, that from now on, whenever you report a
VirtualBox issue you also report (quoting xnox here, he was asking me
all the things when I enquired about the bug) the VirtualBox version
number (propietary vs opensource edition, from ubuntu archive vs from
oracle).

It would be also useful to know if the problem is reproducible in KVM or
not, if you have the time to find out (very important because it helps
determine whether the problem is in ubuntu code only or if it is just
related to one virtualization solution). Or if you can reproduce it in
hardware, so that devs know the extent of the problem.

It'd be very good if you guys could try to add as many details as
possible to the bugs, everything you've tried, to be able to assess the
extent of the problem. Things like: Does it only occur in the live
session? Does it happen when installing directly? Does it also happen in
bare metal? How far into the install was I able to go through (and
mention the screen)? Etc. Please, don't just see ubuntu fail and leave
it there, that's just the beginning of getting a problem fixed! Ask
yourselves all these questions and try to answer them on the bug
(preempting the developers).

All of these details will make your bugs to get picked up from the queue
and fixed quicker, because the developer will be able to diagnose the
problem quicker.

Thanks a lot for all the good testing we are seeing lately, manual
testing is keeping our images sane whilst we undergo the changes to
smoke automated testing to get the tests up and running with UTAH, so I
really appreciate all the effort that is going into keeping the images
installable!!

Regards,
Gema

--