On 03/13/2013 03:03 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:21:18 PM Ali Linx wrote:
2- If you don't have /home partition, you will lose your settings, etc
(someone please correct me if I'm mistaken).

You are mistaken.
I have systems that have been upgraded to 12.04 from as far back as 7.10.
There's really almost never a reason to reinstall.
Hmm, then are you saying this is wrong?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving

Setting up /home on a separate partition is beneficial because your
settings, files, and desktop will be maintained if you upgrade,
(re)install
Ubuntu or another distro. This works because /home has a subdirectory for
each user's settings and files which contain all the data & settings of
that user. Telling Ubuntu to use an existing home partition can be done by
selecting "Manual Partitioning" during the installation of Ubuntu and
specifying that you want your home partitions mount point to be /home,
*ensure you mark your /home partition not be formatted in the process*.
You should also make sure the usernames you enter for accounts during
installation match usernames that existed in a previous installation.
 From my understanding, having /home will help you to upgrade smoothly
without losing anything :)
If you don't have /home, I'm not 100% sure what could happen.

That was my point :)
Yes.  It's wrong.  Even if you reinstall Ubuntu, it will recognize and
preserve and existing home directory.  The one case where that is correct is
if you install a different distro.  There are reasons why you might want /home
on a different partition, but they are mostly, IMO, obsolete.  There is zero
need to put /home in a separate partition for upgradeability.

Scott K

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Scott Kitterman