On 07/02/2013 01:34 PM, Istimsak Abdulbasir wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> When you say "new mainline kernel", are you referring to new kernels
> in the upstream ubuntu branch or kernels released on www.kernel.org
> <http://www.kernel.org>?
>
> If the bug has been fixed, the fixed package will be available in the
> stable release repos, or, if not, you check how the bug was fixed then
> slowly add it to the stable release trees? So I am clear on this.
> Thanks for responding.
>
> Istimsak Abdulbasir
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Joseph Salisbury
> <joseph.salisb...@canonical.com
> <mailto:joseph.salisb...@canonical.com>> wrote:
>
>     Can someone further analyze this paragraph.
>
>     "For bugs in the Linux (Ubuntu)
>     <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux> package,
>     unless the upstream maintainer or kernel developer notes
>     otherwise, if a
>     new mainline kernel comes out, and you haven't tested with it,
>     your report
>     is considered Status Incomplete <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status>
>     whether
>     or not someone toggled the Status of your report. "
>
>     Source: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
>

>     Hi Istimsak,
>
>     When a new mainline kernel comes out, we usually ask to have it
>     tested.
>     The primary purpose of this is to see if the bug has already been
>     fixed
>     upstream.  If it has been fixed upstream, we check to see if it
>     was also
>     sent for inclusion in the upstream stable trees.  If it wasn't sent to
>     upstream stable, we then figure what exact commit fixed the bug, then
>     cherry pick it into the Ubuntu stable kernels.
>
>     A bug is also set to Incomplete when the apport logs are not
>     included in
>     the report.
>
>     I'm not sure if this is the information you were looking for.  If not,
>     just let me know and I can provide some additional details.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Joe

When we refer to "new mainline kernel", it is the current upstream
development kernel, which is Linus' tree.  The kernel is compiled and
put into a .deb package whenever a new version comes out.  These kernel
are available for download from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
<http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-ppa/mainline/>

For example, v3.10 is the current mainline kernel, which can be
downloaded from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.10-saucy/