Welcome to the Ubuntu community :-)

There is project, where you might be able to help with your old
hardware. Please help us test Lubuntu with Phill's non-pae kernel. See
this thread at the Ubuntu Forums

and these links for more details (post #40 and post #64 in the same thread)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216356&page=2&p=13003216#post13003216

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216356&page=4&p=13016786#post13016786

and also this link (posts #88 and #89 and following) in another thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2209683&page=5&p=12957586#post12957586

Best regards
Nio