Hi,

Made some progress.

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-23-generic root=UUID=etc ro nomodeset quiet
splash vga=768
You see some kernel messages. Then X starts up Then a kernel message about
starting up NTP appears and a few messages after that, we have a big black
screen. At this point I pressed CTRL+ALT+F1 and logged in as a text mode
user. Now all I need to do is to find the appropriate package to install
the Intel 810 graphics drivers from. I prefer to do a sudo apt-get install
but have recently discovered the text mode package manager aptitude.

TIA,

Ian

-- Free Software page - http://contactmorpeth.wikispaces.com/SoftwareToolkit