On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:15:53 -0500
cprofitt <cprof...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> It is an interesting idea if I am interpreting things correctly.
>
> What I think is being said is:
>
>       * If someone writing documentation finds a bug they report it to
>         bug control
>
> The idea sounds like it could be a positive one, but I too question how
> they would know a bug is critical. Certainly, having bug-control alerted
> could be helpful.
>
> It does raise another question though.
>
> What would make this any different than a normal bug report?
>
> Charles
>

> On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 00:59 -0500, Thomas Ward wrote:
> > I... don't see your logic here.
> >
> > When I read your statement I have a thousand questions show up in my
> > head:  How would a user know what a critical bug is?  Better question,
> > why would they need to email bug control?  And where in the
> > documentation would you put this?
> >
> > Further, while bugs may be 'critical' and need attention, does everyone
> > on bug control really need to be notified of every critical bug?
> >

> > I'm curious what your reasoning for asking this question is.  Mind
> > explaining how you came up with this suggestion/idea?
>

> --
How would this be any different than a bug that ends up in red on the bug
tracker that makes an install fail. I am not sure about things in packages on
in the installer though that is a harder question to answer. Notifying bug
control of things like that may be nice but I don't know of any systems already
in place. If this gets to all users how can we make sure there are not people
that think this bug affects me therefore it is critical which could make lots
of mistakes. Or a user that is like I want this fixed badly therefore it is
critical. I think we need to not only know when users correctly identify
critical bugs but what happens with mistakes and what makes ubuntu have better
quailty overall.

A bug tag on launchpad like iso-testing-critical for bugs that caused a failed
testcase could be something to make triaging easier and would encourage people
to use the tracker and would work on top of the already existing infrastructre.
Or maybe iso-testing-fail could be another name for the tag.

--
Brendan Perrine <walteror...@gmail.com>